History

Farmington Maine Baptist Church Maple Tree at Henderson Memorial Baptist Church in Farmington Maine

The “first particular Baptist Church of Christ in Farmington” was embodied on July 26th, 1810 by eight men and 14 women who covenanted together to establish the church. The first church building was erected on the present site in 1836. The first house of worship was destroyed in the “Great Fire”– October 1886. A new structure was dedicated on June 27, 1887.

In 1915 the Particular Baptists and Freewill Baptists of Maine merged, adding two Freewill congregations (Farmington and West Farmington) to the congregation on the corner of Academy and Main. The church was known as the First Baptist Church. After years of fundraising, an Austin pipe organ was installed and dedicated in 1935.

The second church edifice was also destroyed by fire on March 20, 1938. The cornerstone for the new church was laid on July 31, 1939. The the new church edifice was dedicated in April 1940. Rev. Albert Henderson, who had served the church with great love and dedication since 1927, accepted a call to serve a new church in Massachusetts in 1945. Almost a year later he died unexpectedly; his funeral and burial were in Farmington. The church voted in 1946 to change its name to Henderson Memorial Baptist Church in his memory.

HMBC celebrated its 200th Anniversary in July, 2010 with a picnic on the lawn and the planting of a new sugar maple for a new century (see photo). HMBC continues to uphold American Baptist values as we find new ways to address the faith challenges of a new century. Still “centered in Christ,” we have become more missional in the way we follow Jesus and serve our neighbors – by partnering with others to share the good news of a more abundant life for all. Read the updated history of Henderson Memorial Baptist Church here: THE UPDATED HISTORY

“The future is as bright as the promises of God.”
– Adoniram Judson, first Baptist missionary to Burma